Congratulations to the CGPS Class of 2020! Last Thursday, we celebrated and honored our seniors during a touching virtual commencement ceremony.
About Distance Learning at CGPS
Our Distance Learning Plan
Since closing the School's physical campus has become necessary, we have implemented our Distance Learning Plan. This page will help parents and caretakers understand the way Distance Learning works and the guidelines and responsibilities of families and our students.
Maintaining CGPS’s educational philosophy of excellence with balance will be a priority in a Distance Learning scenario; however, it is important for the whole community to understand that the learning experiences teachers design when School is in regular session cannot be simply replicated at home. In particular, the invaluable social interactions and mediation that occurs naturally among students and between teachers and students cannot be recreated in the same way. Additionally, teachers must find new methods for providing timely and specific feedback to support student growth and learning. A successful Distance Learning experience will be the result of a concerted effort and collaboration from all members of our community.
Key Terms For Distance Learning
Class interactions happen via assignments posted to Schoology without real-time interaction between students and teachers. Students engage in class materials and complete work at their own pace, typically within a given timeframe, often using discussion boards to drive peer-to-peer engagement.
Class interactions happen in real-time, at the same time and as a group. Students may virtually attend class together via video conference, live stream, or chat.
Effective online teaching is a blend of synchronous contact and asynchronous study/work.
Guidelines for Parents
- Establish and communicate routines and expectations
- If possible, define a specific physical space where your child can work effectively and successfully
- Monitor communications from your children’s teachers
- Begin and end each day with a check-in with your child
- Take an active role in helping your children process their learning
- Encourage physical activity and/or exercise.
- Monitor your child’s stress or worry
- Track how much time your child is spending online
- Keep your children social, but set rules around their social media interaction
Guidelines for Students
- Establish daily routines for engaging in learning (e.g. 8:00 a.m. start)
- Identify a quiet space in your home where you can work effectively and successfully
- Regularly monitor email and Schoology to check for announcements and feedback from your teachers
- Complete assignments with integrity and academic honesty
- Do your best to meet timelines, commitments and due dates
- If you cannot meet deadlines or require additional support, communicate proactively with your teachers
- Collaborate with and support your CGPS peers
- Comply with CGPS’s Technology Acceptable Use Policy, including expectations for online etiquette
- Proactively seek out and communicate with other adults at CGPS as different needs arise