Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School seeks a full-time college counselor to guide 11th and 12th students and their families through the college admission process while working with a caseload of approximately 22 to 25 students.
CGPS Mission Statement
CGPS nurtures each student’s unique passions and talents inside and outside the classroom, unifying and inspiring members of its community in a rigorous but relaxed learning environment, preparing them for the finest colleges and instilling in them the confidence, ethical values, and sense of purpose to embrace challenges, to achieve their dreams, and to improve the world.
- Master’s and/or counseling degree preferred.
- Prior college counseling experience at an independent secondary school and college admissions experience preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge base of U.S. colleges/universities and independent schools; knowledge of overseas programs a plus.
- Demonstrated counseling skills beyond college admissions extending to the context of family dynamics.
- Ability and desire to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- A willingness to learn and counsel in the context of Columbia Prep’s unique culture.
- Exceptional communication/marketing, interpersonal, organizational and decision-making skills.
Work closely with the Director of College Counseling and the entire college counseling team to meet the needs of students individually throughout the college process.
Help students prepare their college applications and offer support during the writing process.
Evaluate and improve the college counseling program each year.
Advise students on course selection and its impact on the college selection process in collaboration with the class dean.
Write letters of recommendation for assigned students and offer guidance to faculty with regard to their written recommendations.
Organize and host student and family events throughout the year.
Plan and coordinate annual Common App and essay writing workshops.
Maintain and guide students and families on the use of Naviance or similar college application program.
Work with younger students to identify and apply to appropriate summer programs.
Offer advice to faculty about curricular developments that might impact the college process.
Keep abreast of financial aid issues in the college process.
Establish new and maintain ongoing relationships with college admission officers.
Host college admissions officers and representatives on campus each fall.
Represent CGPS in professional associations.
Take advantage of opportunities to regularly visit college campuses and attend relevant conferences.
- 8:00am-4:00pm Monday through Friday
- Weekly faculty and department meetings until 4:30pm
- Start date: August 15th, 2022
We offer highly competitive salaries, exceptional benefits, and a warm and supportive culture.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate “College Counselor Position” in the subject line.
Columbia Grammar and Preparatory School is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment decisions including hiring, transferring, and promotions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color,creed, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation and national origin, alienage, age, pregnancy, marital/partnership status, citizenship, military status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic predisposition, status of domestic violence, or any other characteristic or status protected by law.